Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stay Golden...Golden Girls

I grew up watching Golden Girls with my family and to this day I'm a huge fan of the show. The show was so smart! It looked like some good wholesome family entertainment while on mute but then with a little volume it was suddenly a racy comedy! And can you think of any other actor that you would rather see play the characters instead of Arthur, White, McCanahan, Getty...and even Stan? The casting was perfect. Unfortunately over the past few years half of the Golden Girls have passed away and Rue McCanahan (Blanche) just suffered a stroke. The Golden Girls were so much a part of my life that when I heard that Estelle Getty had cancer and then died, I was sad. I was shocked and saddened when I heard Bea Arthur died last year. And I was afraid when I heard about Rue's stroke earlier this month, I really hope for a speedy recovery. Betty White was just awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the SAGS last Sunday and I couldn't have been happier for her, I wish her all the luck and love I can offer.


I love me some Golden Girls and like any young girl that had a VCR in the 90's, I loved Clueless. Brittany Murphy, who played "Tai" tragically passed away from a heart attack just before Christmas. I'm pretty sure Murphy's performance in Clueless was a break through for the young actress. I guarantee you that if you a find a gal in her late 20's/early 30's that was a Brittany Murphy fan it was because of Clueless. She will surely be missed.

But on to a happier topic, imagine a world where the Golden Girls and Clueless became one. Well, sorta. Betty White, Rue McCanahan and Estelle Getty teamed up to make a short for the 1996 MTV Movie Video Awards. The combination of the two is bold and hilarious! Cher is played by Estelle Getty and adds in her usual "Sofia" old lady jokes. Dionne is played by America's Sweetheart, Betty White. At first I thought that was an odd choice, but it works! And Rue McClanahan plays Tai perfectly! It was somehow comforting to watch the ladies pretending to be high school girls. But there was still something missing...a deep voice, sarcasm, dry (and often dark) humor and a passion for long, flowing outfits...where was Dorothy? I'm not sure why Bea Arthur wasn't in the short, but I wish she was, she would have had to play Elton I guess...or (gulp)Travis.

In honor of the Golden Girls and Brittany Murphy:

The Golden Girl Clueless Parody

No comments:

Feeling Ambitious? Read These Too! (sorry for all the LOST posts)