Friday, January 22, 2010

Just a Couple of Criminals at the Movies

I finished reading "Alice in Wonderland" a few weeks ago and started "Through The Looking Glass" yesterday to get ready for Tim Burton's adapted version coming out just before Spring. A local theatre is screening the 1933 version of "Alice in Wonderland" at the George Eastman House (Dryden Theatre) to feed the Alice fever going 'round. I even splurged at a local record shop recently to buy a near mint condition of The Great Society with Grace Slick album which includes the song "White Rabbit".

Yesterday was exceptionally exciting for me since I was going with my friend to the theatre to watch the black and white, 35mm version of "Alice in Wonderland". I took advantage of any free second I had at work to speed read through "Through The Looking Glass", trying to soak up every word before the movie started that night (I still have about 100 pages left). My friend was just as equally excited. She wrote an email to me saying that she was thinking about wearing her Alice shirt to the big movie event. Once 4:00 came, I spent majority of my time staring at the clock, waiting to head out to the theatre. One thing was for sure, I wasn't going to watch this film sober. "Alice in Wonderland" holds a reputation associated with drugs and I planned on enjoying the movie to it's full capabilities.

I left work and sped home to get some supplies: an apple, a wet paper towel, a pencil and some weed. I got my goods and ran through a drive-thru to grab a bagel for dinner. After that I was set. I was on my way to get high and watch a trippy movie. Life was good. The movie started at 7:00, I pulled into the parking lot around 6:20 and waited for my friend to arrive. I pulled out my apple, paper towel, pencil, marijuana and realized I gave my lighter away recently. So I ran to the nearest gas station while cursing myself out and grabbed one real quick. Back in business! I found a more discreet parking spot at the theatre and pierced my apple three times with the pencil. I wiped the apple and my hands with the paper towel and packed some pot into one of the holes. My friend still wasn't there and we had a good half hour until the movie began, I enjoyed my apple flavored drugs until she came.

Once she arrived (not wearing her Alice shirt) we went in to buy our tickets and grab something from the cafe. Before the theatre screens a film they give a small lecture about what you are about to see and there are usually notes. While in the cafe my friend was looking over the notes and confusingly asked what they were for. Listed were two films, "My Name is Julia Ross" and "Gun Crazy" along with facts about the films. I was pretty high and had no idea what she was talking about, I poured myself a cup of tea and ordered a brownie. Once we were seated and I had my brownie in my lap I looked over the notes for the evening and then realized what she was trying to tell me. There was no mention of "Alice in Wonderland" on that double sided piece of paper. I instantly started laughing while my friend stared at me with no amusement what so ever.

"I think we came to watch the wrong movie," I said while trying to remember to breath while laughing. She still wasn't laughing. I ran down to the lobby to grab a calendar to double check. There was no way we came the wrong night, I wrote it on my calendar at home, I put it in my blackberry, I gave the theatre's calendar a week ago to my friend and she put it in her work calendar...we couldn't be wrong! But then I opened to the page displaying AIW...February. Sunday. 21st. Oops. All I saw was the number, 21, and put the event down in my calendar for January. During this a-ha moment I still was laughing uncontrollably and my friend was still not amused.

"Well, we might as well stay and check out one of the films," I said trying to make the best of the situation, "Film Noir! They must be pretty decent. And the first one is only an hour long, we can leave after that if you want..."

"I'm so mad at you right now," my friend said, "I'm going downstairs to buy popcorn."

She came back telling me that she robbed the cafe for $15. Well, those weren't her words and it didn't happen exactly like a robbery, but that's generally what happened. I told her she had to give the money back and she replied with, "Well, we're in a recession."

The curtain started to raise and a man approached the podium. He started talking about the first film, "My Name is Julia Ross" and I realized that I knew him, we worked together at Media Play. I hoped that he didn't recognize me. The movie began and any time I chuckled or laughed my friend gave me a look...which made me laugh even harder. After all was said and done the filmed ended up being pretty good, I never saw the guy I used to work with again and we left before the second film began.

My friend went home, drank a bunch of beers and watched Tommy Lee Jones in "Volcano". I smoked, made taco dip and was able to catch all my Thursday night comedies before bed.

Ah, just another day in the life of moi.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Feeling Ambitious? Read These Too! (sorry for all the LOST posts)