Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cankle Finger to Poop Nail: A Transformation

A few weeks before Halloween I slammed my finger in my car door. I opened the door and blood squirted out my way. The fingertip was broken and extremely painful. My nail turned black and blue instantly and my finger swelled up to the size of a German sausage or as I named it "cankle finger". My finger and nail remained that way for a long time. It was pretty gross.

Finally, over this past weekend, the nail started to lift up a little. I lost some feeling in the tip of my finger from the accident. I was hoping that if the nail fell off that somehow it would make everything better. I guess I thought that some more feeling might come back. Or maybe that the dislocated bone that sticks out of the bottom of my finger would magically reset itself. Well I took it upon myself to rip the nail off yesterday at work. It didn't hurt, but it made cracking and popping noises that freaked me out a little. And then finally it was off and my skin was exposed. Oops. This looks even worse now.

The skin is all bumpy and gross. There is dried blood in between the nooks and crannies that looks like poop. Hence the new nickname, "poop finger." There is a pretty deep scar where the skin should be, right in the middle. And ripping the nail off brought no relief, in fact I think I should have left the nail on. Besides having the ability to scare off anyone who glances at it, it is a little sensitive now. Oh, and the nerve damage is still there...so is the dislocated bone. Bummer. Wishful thinking has failed me once again.

But there is some good news...it would appear a tiny little nail is trying to grow in. When my nail was off, there was so much dried blood stuck to the nail and my skin. I started thinking if all that dried blood could affect the new nail growth. So I guess in the long run, I'm glad I did it. Even if it was, and still is, disgusting.

Move over cankle finger and make room for poop finger!

Here are some graphic pictures of the nail before and after it came off. Enjoy!

No comments:

Feeling Ambitious? Read These Too! (sorry for all the LOST posts)