Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cheesy Vegan

I bought a vegan cookbook this week because after flipping through a few pages I was confident that I would use majority of the recipes instead of just the usual three to five recipes I find in most cookbooks.
The recipes are simple and the ingredients are cheap. I can’t wait to make about 99% of the recipes in the book (the other 1% has cabbage in the recipes and I don’t take kindly to cabbage). Some are going to happen sooner than later. I’m talking to you, chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting!!! I recommend this cookbook to anyone who likes to make delicious food but doesn’t always have the time or the money…vegan or not! I’m sold.



We bought Daiya for the first time at the grocery store this weekend and were eager to try it. We turned our usual dinner of pasta (rotini this time around) with roasted eggplant, zucchini, peppers and onions coated lightly with combinations of Italian herbs and olive oils into a veggie pasta bake dish by adding mozzarella Daiya. The “cheese” tasted more like American cheese than mozzarella but it wasn’t all that bad. It was gooey and melty…even if it didn’t appear to be completely melted. Daiya is a little expensive, at five dollars a bag, but we’re looking forward to try the cheddar. We planned ahead when we knew we were going to buy the dairy(and everything else)-free cheese and used the Vegan on the Cheap cookbook for a vegan parmesan cheese recipe. Using the magic bullet I got for Christmas, I prepared the “parm” in under five minutes by using almonds, yeast and salt. The “parm” was amazing! It definitely made all the difference in the veggie pasta bake. It was perfectly salty and even tasted like parmesan cheese!

We just ate the left over pasta by reheating it in the microwave and it was actually even better the next day! The Daiya was still gooey and I even think I liked the taste better reheated. 

No comments:

Feeling Ambitious? Read These Too! (sorry for all the LOST posts)